Healing Touch is an energy-based approach to health and wellness that supports healing of the body, mind and spirit. It is a biofield therapy that has been shown to effectively relieve pain and anxiety. Patients often report an increased sense of peace and balance.
The National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health classifies Healing Touch as a Mind and Body Practice Complementary Health Approach.
Application of Healing Touch
Trained Healing Touch practitioners use their hands to gently restore balance to their patients’ energy system. Healing Touch can be applied via light touch or with the practitioner’s hands near the patient’s body.
How Healing Touch Works
Applying Healing Touch creates a parasympathetic response that induces relaxation and supports the body’s natural self-healing ability. Healing Touch is based on a heart-centered, caring relationship in which the practitioner and patient come together in partnership energetically to facilitate the patient’s health and healing. After receiving Healing Touch patients almost always report a noticeable decrease in pain anxiety, and an increase in comfort – often to the point that less, or no, pain medication is needed.
"The relaxation response is a physical state of deep rest that changes the physical and emotional responses to stress … and the opposite of the fight or flight response." Herbert Benson, MD
Healing Touch is a Proven Solution
- Research has shown Healing Touch to be effective at relieving pain and anxiety.
- Non-invasive application, with no reported contraindications, makes Healing Touch a safe treatment.
- Healing Touch is an evidence-based energy therapy modality.
- Healing Touch is widely known and used in healthcare with over 10,000 nurses having taken at least one Healing Touch class.
- Over 900 Healing Touch Certified Practitioners are available throughout the United States to provide Healing Touch treatments to patients and staff.
Healing Touch Offers
- Continuing education contact hours for nurses through the American Nurses Credentialing Center are provided for Healing Touch classes.
- A standardized curriculum taught by certified instructors ensures a professional, high-quality education experience.
- More than 100 Healing Touch Certified Instructors are available to teach classes for nurses, physicians, chaplains and other healthcare professionals in your facility.
- Qualified instructors and practitioners are available to provide support services to nurses learning Healing Touch.